Stephen’s research focuses on planning systems, planning practice, regulatory design, and the cultural depiction of cities and towns. His first book, Movie Towns and Sitcom Suburbs: Building Hollywood’s Ideal Communities, was published in 2015. His second book, The Victorian Planning System: Practice, Problems, and Prospects, was published in 2017.
Stephen is a practising urban planner, working as an independent consultant and Planning Editor of the Victorian Planning Reports. He is a former Vice President and Policy Convenor of the Planning Institute of Australia Victorian Division. He is also a former co-editor of the magazine Planning News.
As a practising urban planner, Stephen has worked in the industry for nearly twenty years in local and state government, and as an independent consultant. He has been an active commentator on the industry during that time, with a particular focus on planning system reform, publishing in Planning News, The Age, and Crikey.
Industry roles undertaken include:
- Vice President of the Planning Institute of Australia Victorian Division (October 2014 – October 2015)
- Policy Convenor of the Planning Institute of Australia Victorian Division (October 2012 – July 2014)
- Committee Member of the Planning Institute of Australia Victorian Division (June 2011 – May 2016)
- Co-editor, Planning News (June 2007 – December 2010)
- Planning Editor, Victorian Planning Reports (July 2013 – present)
Expert commentary on...
The Victorian planning system, Planning systems and statutory planning, Regulatory design, Cultural depictions of cities, towns and urban planning.